Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 1 - Be intentional about being inspired

Inspiration as defined by Miriam-Webster:
the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions

Change rarely happens simply because one wants it to; it requires much more than that. A desire to change without strong motivation on an emotional level is often futile. So, how do we invest on that deeper level? Get inspired.

Yesterday I talked about how going outside for a run and remembering what it used to feel like (physically, mentally, emotionally) when I was a consistent runner has inspired me to run some more. Back up even further though. What made me want to run again in the first place?
Sam, one of my favorite contestants from Season 9! 

Everyone who knows me knows I am mildly obsessed with “The Biggest Loser”! If you haven’t seen it I encourage you to check it out! To watch men and women who weigh sometimes 4-500 pounds completing difficult physical challenges, conquering temptations and eventually by the time the season ends, running a full marathon is awe-inspiring. Additionally, the show has a doctor who examines the contestants at the beginning of the season and again at the end. Many people who started out with diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and other nutrition-related illness are able to drastically reduce their dependency on medications. I can't help but be amazed each and every week at the progress the contestants make not just a physical level, but on a much deeper one too, as they work through past conflicts and the deep-seated reasons for their weight gain. 

When I watch these episodes and see the incredible accomplishments of the contestants as well as the sacrifices they make in order to live longer, healthier lives, I am amazed. I can't help but want want to live a healthy life myself.

Tara from Season 7! Another inspiration!
On a totally different note, here is another example of how I am intentional about being inspired. One of my goals, and this will always be a goal for the rest of my life, is to know God more and grow closer to Him every day. One of the best ways to get to know someone is to spend time with them. Same with God. But sometimes when I have opportunities to spend time with God I choose not to. I may choose to watch TV or hang out with a good friend. Either way, I am not growing in my knowledge of or closeness to God.

So, I have to be intentional about being inspired. I make going to church on Sunday morning practically a non-negotiable. Not to be legalistic but because I know that being there will inspire me and re-inspire me week after week. I am challenged intellectually by the teaching and I connect with God on an emotional level through worship. I also particpate in a weekly small group. By being around others who share a similar desire, we can encourage each other to grow closer to God.

Sometimes inspiration just hits us and that's a beautiful thing. Other times, we have to figure out what inspires us and go after it. What inspires you?

No comments:

Post a Comment