Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Be Specific

My husband and I just went on a walk down in downtown Huntington Beach, my hometown. (Oh, how I miss you beautiful, sunny California)! We decided to spend some time talking about our goals for the new year... our "resolutions" if you will. (Brief rabbit trail... Sometimes I don't like using that word because it implies a frivolous goal that never ends up being followed through with. Take for example, the gym. We all make goals to get healthier or lose weight when a new year begins. The gym overflows with eager exercisers the first few weeks of every new year but as the weeks and months progress it becomes easier and easier to find a space in the parking lot. I don't mean to be cynical but I have seen this happen more times than I can count, and I admit, to myself as well).

Anywho... the unfortunate reality of New Year's resolutions doesn't stop us from setting goals each year, reasonable ones that really matter and we really stick with. Goals are important because they help focus us toward what we want and away from that which is less important.

As I was telling my husband how I hope to be more consistent in working out and reading my Bible more frequently, he appropriately asked me what that really means. Being "more consistent" is pretty subjective. Furthermore, studies show that vague New Year's resolutions don't come to fruition. Specific goals we follow consistently will. Try it this year! I am going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment